Tuesday, May 13, 2014

A Time To Share

You may be familiar with the book “All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten,” by Robert Fulghum. The book offers the simple piece of wisdom that the most basic aspects of life, the ones we learn early in life, are the ones that bear its most important opportunities.

The very first of these aspects listed in Fulghum’s book is “share everything.” Now, that concept is simple when you are talking about tangible items. If you bring a piece of candy to class, you should bring enough for everyone (I know candy probably isn’t usually allowed in class, but you get the point).

But what happens when we aren’t talking about objects, and instead, we are talking about ideas? How do you share those?

I’d say that in 2014, social media has become the conduit for sharing ideas with everyone. I have long argued that social media is a must for organizations serving individuals with intellectual disabilities, both from an organizational standpoint and from an individual standpoint. I continue to believe that, and my belief continues to get reinforced.

So in that spirit, today I’d like to share with you a few videos that have come across my virtual desk recently. The videos are interesting and/or inspiring, and definitely worth sharing.

The first two videos were first shared with me by a member of the Imagine! Foundation Board of Directors.

This one features a couple of brothers, and the amazing way they support each other.

  Can’t see the video? Click here

This one features a truly inspiring woman, Heeah Lee, who was born with only two fingers on each hand - yet plays the most exquisite music on the piano.

  Can’t see the video? Click here.

This next video is a little different. It was created by an Imagine! employee, designed to remind those of us who work here how far society has come in terms of providing services for individuals with developmental disabilities. This change over time occurred in large part because of dedicated individuals, families, and employees of organizations like Imagine!. Sometimes we can get so caught up in the day to day aspects of our jobs and our lives and forget to reflect on what we have truly accomplished. It is good to get a refresher.

  Can’t see the video? Click here

Alas … if I had attended kindergarten, my kindergarten teacher would be so proud.

Then again, what do I know?

No comments:

Post a Comment