Wednesday, March 27, 2013

50 Years, 50 Stories - Lisa Fiero

Today’s “50 Years, 50 Stories” installment comes from Lisa Fiero, parent of an Imagine! client and member of Imagine!’s Board of Directors. I don’t have much else to add to this introduction, as Lisa’s eloquence below far surpasses anything I could bring to the post. Thank you, Lisa, for sharing your story, and thank you for all you have done for Joey, Imagine!, and the people we serve.

Put On Your Own Oxygen Mask First
By Lisa Fiero
 
Lisa Fiero's son Joey Crompton throwing out the first
pitch at a Colorado Rockies game

I have been a flight attendant in the friendly skies for 29 years. When I was in training, the first thing I learned was, 'put on your own oxygen mask first' so you can help others who cannot help themselves.

Twenty-three years ago, I had the perfect life and was blessed with a son named Joey. Life was good, but then I couldn't breathe!

When Joey was two years old it was my training that gave me the strength to scream for help, and I mean scream. I was scared to death. Something was very wrong with my son and no one was listening. The doctors did not know what to do. I looked in the Yellow Pages, hands shaking, barely breathing, I saw the words 'Developmental Disabilities Center,' now known as Imagine!. I made the call, someone answered, and within one half hour a social worker was at my door.

On an airplane, during a decompression people have 15 seconds before hypoxia sets in and they begin to lose consciousness. On the ground at that moment, I had one half hour.

Ding dong, doorbell rings, Joey gets help, I can breathe. Joey will be okay.

Twenty one years later, I am alive and well...Joey is alive and has thrived, in large part due to the services of Imagine! that we continue to receive.

  It has been my honor and privilege to:
  • become involved and educate myself by joining Imagine!'s Family Support Council.
  • be invited to join the Board of Directors, where I am still perched twelve years later.
  • be a part of the team that developed the name, 'Imagine!'
  • chair the successful 2002 mil levy effort that set up substantial annual revenue to help serve people with developmental disabilities in Boulder County, which Imagine! will receive a part of forever!
  • advocate and educate others by speaking at functions, at Boulder City Council meetings, on TV, and in print.
  • advocate and represent Imagine! at the State level, where I met the governor and was introduced on the House floor with Joey by my side.
"I paid it forward." That is what Imagine! CEO Mark Emery recently told me. I disagree. I just put on my own oxygen mask first.

Are you interested in sharing your story for “50 Years, 50 Stories?” If so, contact Caroline Siegfried at caroline@imaginecolorado.org or 303-926-6405. We’d love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment