Wednesday, February 20, 2013

50 Years, 50 Stories - Diane Carroll

This week’s installment of “50 Years, 50 Stories” was written by Diane Carroll, who, as you will see, as been associated with Imagine! in a variety of roles. I think her many experiences give her a great perspective on the organization overall, and I am very grateful that she was willing to share some of her memories with us. I also want to acknowledge the fact that in all her roles, Diane worked tirelessly to ensure that Imagine! always held true to its mission. Thanks, Diane!

Imagine! Three Views - 25 Years
By Diane Carroll
 
Diane Carroll in the early 2000s.
 
Imagine!, yes, I have known this organization for twenty-five years, and in three distinct capacities: as a special educator, as a parent of someone receiving services, and as a board member. As I reflect on these three roles, I am amazed, not only by how much I have learned about the organization but also by the organization’s growth and potential to provide more comprehensive services.

My first experience, as a teacher, brought me face-to-face with George Mrazyk (not sure if I spelled that correctly). George was the intake person from the Developmental Disabilities Center who came to transition staffings for high school students. George carefully presented options for parents as their children aged out of school, and, at that time, there was funding to support students in post school opportunities. The acronyms and processes were mind boggling, but together we helped families navigate the paperwork. This view gave me a glimpse of what I would personally use in the near future, although I didn't know it at the time.

As my own daughter began the process of aging out of school, I turned to the DDC as a resource. My fondest memory of this time is meeting with Donna Downing to discuss comprehensive services for my daughter. For those who don't know, comprehensive services are 24/7 residential and day program services. I was fearful of the unknown, expecting that my daughter would have the bare minimum of services and supports, but to my surprise, Donna asked about my dreams. I quickly voiced my hope for a home in a neighborhood, with roommates who were her age (she was 21), who shared similar interests and energy. In fact, I remember naming a few possibilities for roommates, people who I knew. Amazingly, Jackson was formed, a house in a neighborhood, roommates who I knew and who were the same age. The staff at Jackson were amazing. They created a family, and we are in contact to this day. When my daughter and her roommates outgrew Jackson, they moved together, eventually to the SmartHome in Longmont. Again, she had the opportunity to live in an amazing home, where she had room to move around, the ability to Skype with her sister who had moved to the east coast, to send emails to family members and friends, and all that the SmartHome has to offer.

My third view of Imagine! was as a member of the Board of Directors for twelve years. I had the privilege of watching this organization expand and grow to become the premier CCB in the state. Some of my proudest accomplishments are: hiring a Board Certified Behavior Analysis and the subsequent creation of the Behavioral Health Services, the creation of the Imagine! Foundation, with huge appreciation for all that they have brought to the organization, and hiring the current CEO.

To the people I have met at Imagine!, consumers, employees, and volunteers (that includes you if you are reading this), I send my deepest appreciation for making my daughter's life fulfilled. Despite all of her challenges, you persevered, and she smiled. Words can't express my gratitude.

Are you interested in sharing your story for “50 Years, 50 Stories?” If so, contact Caroline Siegfried at caroline@imaginecolorado.org or 303-926-6405. We’d love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment