Monday, March 10, 2014

Don’t Let It Go

Lately I have been thinking that too often at Imagine! we let things go.


Can't see the video? Click here.

Like Princess Elsa in the clip above from the movie “Frozen,” sometimes we get so focused on one or two aspects of our lives, work or otherwise, that we end up missing other aspects of our lives that may be equally as important. Sometimes we let go of too much.

To be more specific, I think we tend to close our minds to learning opportunities, or opportunities to be influenced in a positive way, even though those opportunities are always around us. I’m at my best when I start the work day expecting to be surprised by something that day; it could be something somebody tells me or something that somebody does. It can come from one of my family members, a co-worker, a family member of someone we serve, or especially one of the individuals who receives services from Imagine!. I find if I approach the day with a mindset open to learning and new ideas, I actually learn more and get more ideas. Imagine that!

I wish I could say that I always spend the day with a mind open to new ideas. I don’t. But I always regret it when I don’t. I never know when some new scenario or experience, or even an offhand comment in a casual conversation, will set off a light bulb in my head and open the doors of creativity and innovation.

Those of us at Imagine!, and those of us in the field of serving individuals with intellectual disabilities, have a unique opportunity to experience new learning opportunities every day, and to influence and be influenced by others in so many of our interactions. We need to grab a hold of those moments and take full advantage. We can’t just let it go.

Then again, what do I know?

No comments:

Post a Comment